Portable XRF Spectrometers
XRF (X-ray fluorescence) is an innovative, non-destructive technology for material analysis. It`s unique and almost universal, given you get a high-quality XRF gun (handheld XRF).
An X-ray gun sees sample contents by using an X-ray source to measure the secondary ways (fluorescent) the sample emits. Such an analysis is clear and fast.
What is X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) and How Does it Work?
X-Ray Fluorescence Analysis is a method of quantitative analysis of elemental composition of materials. Handheld XRF analyzers are commonly used in many different areas of science and industry. XRF spectroscopy is considered to be one of the main methods for elemental analysis, due to its simplicity and almost no sample preparation before measurement, as well as high speed of XRF analyzers, which allows for good accuracy, even with low measurement time. XRF technology is based on analysis of a characteristic spectrum, scattered by a sample when exposed to X-Ray. Energy of quanta of characteristic spectrum is defined by energies of allowed electron states in an atom, which is unique to every element in periodic table. Presence of a certain characteristic lines in sample’s characteristic spectrum and their relative intensities allow for an accurate evaluation of samples chemical composition.
What elements can be detected by XRF?
Handheld XRF analyzers are used to identify presence of a wide range of elements, namely every single element that is located between sodium and uranium in periodic table. However, different models of XRF spectrometers may have varying detection range, depending on such parameters as x-ray tube voltage, presence of certain filters etc.
What elements cannot be detected by XRF?
XRF spectroscopy, just like any other method has its limitations. XRF technique struggles with light elements, due to more significant scattering of low-energy quanta in air, and low x-ray fluorescence quantum yield of light elements. XRF cannot be used to identify elements with atomic number less than that of a sodium (Z = 11), such as carbon.
What is XRF Portable Gun?
Handheld analyzers are the latest invention, highly portable and lightweight, that can provide results in seconds. For comparison, a regular lab will analyze samples for days or even weeks.
Every Elvatech portable XRF gun is developed and advanced for:
- Ease of use in all applications, from art to mining
- High precision in analyzing materials from soil to precious metals
- Speed of analysis for clear on-site results
- Non-destructive analysis
A portable analyzer from Elvatech can be used to control the quality of alloys, analyzing jewelry to see if it`s authentic, screening hazardous materials, sorting scrap metals, etc. You can research a wide range of materials on-site with a lightweight, technologically advanced mini-lab in your hand. Elvatech`s analyzers provide results in a couple of seconds, being the fastest in the world.
Handheld XRF Industries and Applications
A handheld XRF spectrometer is helpful in the following commercial and other applications:
- Identification of alloys. Positive Material Identification is easy with Elvatech hand-held analyzers. The result of such an analysis must be precise to ensure the safety and quality of the material. Non-destructive analysis using the X-ray fluorescence approach is the best for any metal element.
- Consumer safety. Many regulations like the EU`s Restrictions of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) forced many manufacturers to look for faster, cheaper, and more precise ways of material research. A testing gun from Elvatech will analyze a finished item or its component in seconds, saving time and effort and ensuring consumer safety.
- Archaeometry. Due to the completely non-destructive way of analysis and portability, a handheld XRF analyzer will help research and date ancient relics and old works of art.
- Oil and fuel. An analysis of oils, fuels, and similar substances, you can detect any hazardous elements or mannitol oil blending.
- Agriculture and environment. A small XRF gun can analyze soil and detect any signs of contamination, helping to raise awareness of the damage we bring to the planet and choosing proper sites for agriculture.
In every aforementioned application, you need a handheld XRF analyzer that is fast, precise, and reasonably priced. You can find all these specifications and more in Elvatech`s XRF guns.
Our Portable XRF Spectrometers
We have several portable XRF spectrometers suitable for various material analyses.
ProSpector 2The most prominent benefits of this model are:
* High operation speed (over 500,000 CPS rate)
* High level of stability due to automatic corrections of pressure and temperature
* More than 10 hours of portable operation from one battery charge
* Protective measures for the detector
* Large, customizable library of alloys
* Minimal maintenance with no additional tools needed
* ElvaXTM PC software compatibility to transfer results to your computer
This model is a perfect combination of reliable hardware and innovative software. It`s suitable for beginner operators due to the easy-to-understand interface.
ProSpector 3The newer, even more sophisticated version has all the advances of the 2nd series, plus:
* The lightest weight of 1.05 kg
* Waterproof and dustproof capabilities (IP-67). You can analyze materials underwater
* An automatic changes for analysis of small objects and spots on them (great for jewelry testing)
* 16 hours of operation from one battery charge
* A folding display for more convenient operation without the need to connect a PC right away
* No manual calibration needed
* Micro and macro view due to the 2 highly sensitive CCD cameras
* WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB connection possible, plus a microSD slot for additional storage
This model is highly portable and protected from all sides.
ElvaX GeoAnother series by Elvatech, ElvaX offers the following technological advances:
* Analysis of unknown samples without manual calibration
* The technology minimizes errors while investigating inhomogeneous samples
* A possibility to transform into a benchtop lab with a special stand and ElvaXTM PC software
* GPS connection via Bluetooth is available
* A watertight case and other details to increase the convenience of operation are included
The greatest thing about ElvaX Geo is that it usually doesn`t require calibration before every analysis.
A handheld XRF spectrometer is by far the best piece of analyzing tech you need.
ElvaX MobileA more mobile version of ElvaX offers:
* Stability of calibration and automatic compensation for the pressure and temperature changes in the surroundings
* Easy to understand interface and high mobility
* A PDA (a palmtop computer) is integrated for enhanced operation
* A CCD camera for better sample positioning (optional)
* A sample spinner for more precise averaging (also optional)
This is a lightweight, beginner-friendly model.
Benefits of Using Elvatech Portable Analyzers
The benefits of using Elvatech XRF guns are plenty. The most important are:
- High portability. Most of the time, you may need an immediate on-site analysis. A handheld XRF gun is irreplaceable for such purposes. It brings all the benefits of a professional laboratory right to your hand.
- High accuracy with no sample prep. Sample prep is needed depending on the application. But in most cases, an XRF gun is used for a quick «shooting» analysis (hence the name). If you need more accuracy and lab results, you may need to prepare a small sample on the site and perform an analysis in seconds.
- Minimal maintenance. No calibration and almost no maintenance due to dust and waterproof capabilities make it cheaper to own such a device. Usually, such highly sensitive devices need additional protection and a certain environment to work. But not Elvatech`s handheld XRF guns.
- Amazing performance. Analyzing soil, alloys, precious metals, and oil with one device is the new meaning of technological advancement. The speed of lab-close results is staggering – several seconds.
- Ease of use. Such devices are completely beginner-friendly due to a clear, simple interface and additional software.
You will get more benefits by choosing a model closest to your needs.
X-Ray Fluorescence Spectrometers F.A.Q.
If there are still questions, maybe you`ll find answers to them here.
Is XRF technology really that effective?Yes. It`s also simple and to the point. The gun has an X-ray source in it, which emits rays at the sample. The elements the sample contains fluorescence in response, giving the detector in the analyzer clear data about them. The processor in the spectrometer sorts the data and gives you the result.
How much does a decent XRF analyzer cost?This depends a lot on the type of analyzer you need, the type of detector, its side, the material of its anode, additional accessories, etc. To make sure you find the XRF gun you need, contact Elvatech`s customer support and trained operators will help you choose the best option.
Should I choose a desktop or handheld spectrometer?This depends on the field of analysis and many other factors. If you`re working in a lab and researching samples that are brought to you, a desktop model is completely fine. However, if you work on-site and need instant analysis of samples without the need to prepare them, a portable XRF gun is a must-have.
A handheld XRF spectrometer is by far the best piece of analyzing tech you need.
Is XRF safe?Even though x-ray emission is considered ionizing, and thus dangerous to human health, XRF analyzers are completely safe to work with, because of a protected frame designed to shield user from x-ray, All Elvatech portable XRF analyzers are going through radiation test to ensure safety of the operator, even during prolonged work with analyzer. However, it should be noted that it is crucial to follow safety protocols when operating handheld XRF analyzer, as their violation may result in exposure to radiation.
Is XRF testing accurate?XRF analyzer accuracy may depend on several parameters. The main parameter defining accuracy of XRF analysis is measurement time. Longer measurements allow for more accurate results, depending on a task at hand and required accuracy spectrum acquisition time can be adjusted to suit operator’s needs, usually, even precise measurements require no more than a few minutes, while for alloy grade identification, a couple seconds will suffice. Also, accuracy of XRF analyzers may differ for each element. As a general rule, XRF analysis allows better accuracy for elements with greater atomic number. For example, while concentration of heavy metals, such as lead, can be detected at levels reaching 1 ppm, measurement error of aluminium is somewhere around 0.1-0.3 percent. Generally, XRF analysis is considered to have the best accuracy among express elemental analysis of materials composition.
What is the difference between XRF and XRD?X-Ray fluorescence and x-ray diffraction are two different spectroscopy methods based on non-elastic and elastic scatter of x-rays respectively. Because they are based on different physical phenomena, they also provide different information about the sample. XRF provides data only about concentration of the elements in a sample, regardless of its crystal structure, state of aggregation, etc. On the other hand, XRD provides information about the structure of the material, namely lattice constant, phases that are present in a material and phase concentrations. While in some cases XRD may be more informative, handheld XRF spectrometers, alongside with their portability, require much less time to conduct a measurement. Both XRF and XRD have their positive and negative features, as well as fields of application.
You can use the portable analyzers anywhere, anytime you want. These devices are powerful gadgets and lightweight as well. Use them on the field, even when the conditions are very demanding, provided you have the best quality XRF analyzer with you. This will give you laboratory quality results and that too in just a few seconds instead of days or several weeks, which usually happens when you use traditional lab checking methodologies.